Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Perfect Day

Every now and then, there comes along a Perfect Day Off.

Lucky for me, today was that day.

I had a proper lie-in and awoke around 9, and lazily journaled for a bit. Arising from my bed, I made the bed and mopped the bedroom floor and handwashed my baby blanket. (Poor old Blue Blanket has really seen better days--it's rather mind-boggling that she's over 30 years old.)  I wrote letters to my grandparents and to my great-aunt, and I called my uncle. I watched Miss Representation and colored, and then showered and then colored some more and listened to Welcome to Night Vale.  I finished Colm Toibin's The Testament of Mary, which was a novella so brief I couldn't help but to tear through it too quickly to really savor it. And then I headed down to Palm Springs to pick up Angie; she and I had both decided, independently, that we are simply too antisocial for our own good. So we bopped around Village Fest and craned our necks and looked up at the muticolored lights marching their way up the mountain, and I visited my empath Patrick (he says that the Momster is very happy that she became Catholic, and that she's in Paradise now. Then Angie and I ate moussaka at the Greek Islands Restaurant and talked about everything and nothing. At one point I paused and listened to the stone fountain burbling away nearby, and then looked upward at the fairy lights, and things felt Just Right.




And now I am home, and it's back to work tomorrow--but as Patrick (rightly) said, whatever changes that will come to my work might simply be changes that I manifest within myself to put me in the proper frame of mind for my work.

So with a proper frame of mind, I retire for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment