Sunday, January 26, 2014

In Which I Contemplate "Poverty"

This was my Saturday to work. I usually regard these Saturdays as a mixed blessing--yes, it's never fun having to work on a weekend, but at the same time...skeleton crew! No distractions! Time to get work done, and desk cleaned, without any interference. And lo and behold, I actually got my desk clean. AND read some book reviews. How 'bout them apples? I got to be a librarian again.

After work, I hauled my ass down to La Quinta to attend a "house party" that a friend was throwing. I don't know what I was expecting...well, scratch that, I was expecting "someone's shitty garage band", but I was in for a surprise. The music was definitely like something I would hear on Echoes, mainly electronica, with maybe a little Ravi Shankar influencing it. So I laid back on the outdoor sofa and looked up at the inky black sky and listened to the crickets chirp and felt the chilly evening breeze begin to pick up and stir the palm trees, and I tried not to worry.

Himself is leaving his job at the end of the month, and will be trying to start his hiking business. At the same time, one of  our housemates is moving out. I think we already have roommates lined up to take his place, but if that falls through--we will be hurting, really quickly. It's a sobering reminder of how precarious the financial situation is.

Even if we do keep ourselves afloat with roommates, though, things will, by necessity, have to get a bit tight. I know this is a major First World Problem--oh no! You mean I actually have to stick to my budget!--but it's been a few years since I've had to worry and wonder and make conscious choices.

Character building experience, right?

I suppose the first plan of attack is to stop shopping. My home is filled with makeup that does not adorn my face, books going unread, incense and candles unburned, food gone rotten and thrown out. So how about I start by "going shopping in my closet." And embracing the phrase "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

I can switch to cheaper wines...$3 or $4 wines as opposed to $ 8 and $10 wines.

I should withdraw cash for the week's groceries and discretionary spending. Once it's gone, time to retreat to the ramen.

I should check my bills at restaurants--usually I don't. No, wait--I simply shouldn't go to restaurants.

I should submit reimbursement requests for ALL out-of-pocket medical expenses.

I should lose weight. Seriously--if I were to do that, my wardrobe selection would triple!

It'll be okay, one way or the other. But I cannot help but to worry in the meantime...

No comments:

Post a Comment