Thursday, February 6, 2014

Thankful Thursdays: Good News

It's been a long, frustrating kind of week, made worse by my own inclinations towards negativity, and the slow progress I am making on various weekly and monthly projects. But there are little bright spots, here and there. What stands out the most was this morning, when I was on the Info Desk, a friendly-faced, middle-aged gentleman (complete stranger) came up to the desk and said, "I just have to tell someone. I'm so excited. I just got accepted into college. I'm going back to school!"

Even remembering it now, at the end of the day, I get goosebumps of pleasure. I remember that feeling of bursting if you can't share a piece of life-altering good news with whomever you can, even if it's a stranger or someone who doesn't really know why the news means so much to you. And it's true--I don't know just what it meant to him. But I know it meant that much to him, to share his excitement with me. I did my best to put genuine enthusiasm and encouragement and delight into my reaction, and I hope it was enough to gratify him and keep him buoyed until he could celebrate with those who know him best.

Thank you, Mr. Stranger, for including me in your joy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment